Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Books




I love to read. I always have. If it's a book of my choosing that is. I was never fond of the books they required us to read in school. They weren't my style. I do remember reading one book about a war that was very interesting and I cannot for anything remember what the name of that book was. I'd like to re-read it now and see if I find it interesting still.

About 8 years ago I joined a book club. I wasn't reading as much then as I do now, but enjoyed a good book every now and then. It was one of those clubs that would send you a couple books every month and you could keep or decline them. Well, I'd placed an order and when the box arrived, I opened it thinking they were the books I'd ordered. But they weren't. They were the 3 books that were automatically shipped out. I decided to keep them instead of going through the hassle of trying to return the already opened box. I ended up reading Stuart Woods' 2nd Chance. It was a book about a group of women who solved mysteries. It was extremely interesting and I got hooked on reading Stuart Woods' novels. I then discovered James Patterson. His books were quite similar to James Patterson. And for a couple years I read Woods and Patterson exclusively. Over the last several years, I have broadened by library. I've discovered the fun in reading Danielle Steele. And Nicholas Sparks....boy oh boy can that man put some real feeling into a novel. I didn't think a MAN could have that much emotion. Maybe Nicholas Sparks is just a cover and it's really a woman writing. HAHA

I go to Salvation Army here in town and buy most of my books. They're dirt cheap and at the rate I read it means I won't go broke buying books. I picked up The Kite Runner for a measley .75c and loved it. Who knew I'd enjoy a book based on Afghanistan. I then read A Thousand Splendid Suns and kicked myself in the butt for not reading it sooner. I've picked up books from authors I've never heard of and have enjoyed most of them. I have run into a few loser books but at .75c or $1.75 I don't feel like I've wasted too much money.

I'm trying to keep a list of books I've read now. I wish I'd started this a long time ago. I can only imagine how long that list would be now. My goal is 500 books before I turn 35. I've got 5 years and 20 days!

1 comment:

M. Schlansker said...

Ok..500..I can't do it...i'm lucky right now to finish a page before one of the babies cries... But I will make it a goal to read more. I"m working on my list :)