Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Self diagnosis myself


Ever since LJ was diagnosed with Aspergers I've been wondering if some of my issues didn't mimic his social awkwardness from Aspergers. I really started thinking about it a lot a couple days ago and started researching social anxiety.

According to Wikipedia:
Social anxiety is anxiety (emotional discomfort, fear, apprehension, or worry) about social situations, interactions with others, and being evaluated or scrutinized by other people.[1] The difference between Social Anxiety and normal apprehension of social situations is that social anxiety involves an intense feeling of fear in social situations and especially situations that are unfamiliar or in which you will be watched or evaluated by others. The feeling of fear is so strong that in these types of situations you may be so worried that you feel anxious just thinking about them and will go to great lengths to avoid them. It is the third most prevalent psychiatric disorder according to the US National Comorbidity Survey (American Psychiatric Association, 1994). It can occur at different times of life, and for different reasons.

And on the Wiki page I was linked to a Social Phobia Inventory questionaire. When I answered the questions (which were answered by a scale of not at all to all the time) my results came back saying:

According to your score, you are rated as having modering social anxiety disorder. You should consult a health care professional for possible treatment.

So now I'm thinking about calling my doctor. I'm sure I'd be sent to a psychologist or phsychiatrist for a full evaluation. Maybe not..maybe the doctor can diagnose that. I don't know. But the thought of being able to live a more normal life makes me really want to seek help.


Social Anxiety Disorder Symptoms:
Meeting new people
Fear of criticism or being teased
Drawing attention; being center of attention

Feeling like you are being watched while doing something or fearing you may be watched

Intimated by people of authority
Staying away from social situations with strangers
Being reserved at parties and fearing starting small talk with others

Performing on stage
Public speaking
Being called on in class
Going on a date

I found the above list on another site. I've italicised (sp?) the things that seem to apply to me. I have a hard time meeting new people because I don't know how to talk to them. I feel like I'll say something stupid. And often when I do say something and I don't get the reaction I thought I'd get I'll repeat the thing I said over and over in my head wondering why I even opened my big mouth.

I've never learned to drive a stick shift vehicle and only because I was afraid that whoever was teaching me would laugh when I stalled the vehicle and wasn't succesful. I don't like to do exercise videos with my own husband watching because I don't want to hear him laugh at me doing some funny position.

When I go to get togethers with family or friends I often stand in the background. I don't feel part of the group for some reason. Joe has a cookout for the staff shooters for a bow company he shoots for this weekend and I'm a little anxious about going. We almost didn't didn't have a sitter for LJ and I was going to suggest that he just go alone but we have a sitter now so we're going together. I've asked him to please include me so I don't feel so alone during the evening.

I've tried a few meetups with mom groups and I went twice with one group from meetup.com and both times I just stood watching LJ play. I couldn't make myself start up a conversation with the other ladies and I just stood around waiting for someone to talk to me. I must look like a total snob.

And I never liked being called on in class. I'm visiting a new church and I thought about going to try the sunday school class too, but the thought of a small group where I won't blend into the crowd as much makes me anxious.


Whew...I feels good getting this all out. The more I read and type this the more I really think it's an issue. I sure would be nice to make this better.

1 comment:

M. Schlansker said...

Wow...seems like it may be worth looking into for you. I have to admit though I have difficulty with some of those things too. Let me know how it turns out.