Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More work on LJ's room

LJ has been sleeping in his room all night by himself for a little over a week now! I'm still working on decorations and the final touches. I still haven't decided on a theme so I don't know what route to go for the decoration. I'm thinking maybe guitars and music and I can cut out a couple of guitars from wood and paint them. Maybe--time will tell.

My sweet little brother helped me build the new headboard. Okay, I lied, he didn't help. He did all the work himself. All I did was find the plans over at Ana White's site and pay for the wood. He did all the cutting and putting together. I did paint it after it was all together though! I started to second guess my navy paint choice, but once it was finished I fell in love!



Then I spent a lot of time looking everywhere (in stores and online) for a quilt or comforter to replace the worn out quilt that was on his bed. I couldn't find anything that I liked. (Did you know that most quilts in stores are girly?!) I had seen these quilts at Target in different colors but they didn't have any in Twin that would go with the navy headboard. Well, after searching more, I'd forgotten all about the Target quilts. So, I went to JoAnns and spent at least an hour choosing 9 different coordinating fabrics. I'd decided I would just make a quilt so that I could get the colors I wanted together. It was a huge undertaking that had me quite worried. I got 10 main blocks sewed and they're cut now and ready to be pieced into the quilt top. But I went back to Target and they had the green quilt in Twin that I'd wanted before. So, I swiped it up. I'm still going to make the quilt, but now I can make it throw size and put it at the end of his bed and I want feel so intimidated by the idea of quilting a twin size quilt. I'm not big on the light green side of the reversible quilt and I didn't realize that the sham was the light green color. I'm planning to make a new sham for the bed because of this. And I'm going to do a couple of accent pillows for the room too. I also have plans for curtains made from navy and green fabric.



And today I was cruising around Etsy and I came across these adorable letter blocks. I ordered them! The color combination will be the same as the picture below, but the size combo of the blocks will be slightly different to make it look good. I'm not getting the accent pieces on the blocks either. They're cute, but they don't seem suitable for LJ as he gets older. They look more baby or toddlerish to me. I can't wait to get them in! They'll sit on a wooden shelf that I painted to match the headboard.

No comments: