Saturday, September 22, 2007

Finally learned!

Well, after so many of my friends were learning how to knit and knitting beautiful longies I was determined to learn. I tried umpeen times and couldn't get past the 2nd row of the ribbing. It frustrated me horribly. So, I picked up my crochet hooks and whipped out 2 hats. Wow..crochet is easy. I gotta finish the second one up and I'll have the girls model them both. Then after that, I decided I'd give it a shot again. I got out my circulars and cast on 88 stitches. I knit for several inches and did the correct math (woohoo) to begin my decreases. I knit until I couldn't go anymore...switches to homemade DPNs (total bomb!) and messed up. I started knitting but they looked like purl stitches so I must've turned my work somehow. So I finished it off. Well, it was waaaaay too short but it was lots of good practice.

So, I got a larger needle and started again. I cast on 80 stitches and successfully completed the ribbing and started knitting the hat up. Got it to where it needed to be and started decreasing. Again doing the math right!! I've gotten down to k2k2tog...and I need my 12" circs. I'm going to do a little thing my friend said she does. She switches to a 12" circ. needle and knits a little more and then ties off. That'll work for me until I figure out DPNs. I think I need someone to show me those in person. I'll post my pics of the hat when I finish. It could be a week or so and it's going to drive me bonkers. I'm ready to start another hat, but I can't yet..my needles are tied up.

So...in the meantime I'll make pretty stitch markers. After all..the scrap piece of yarn I was using just wasn't cutting it. So...this is what I came up with. The pink ones are my favorite. I need to swipe some beads from my mom. I know she has tons! I want to make some and offer up for sale.

Photobucket

Photobucket

ETA: my completed hat. Much thanks to Jamie for being my adorable model.

Photobucket

No comments: