Thursday, December 18, 2008

Surgery update

Can we go back to Tuesday? I'm hurting! Surgery went well. I arrived at the hospital at 6:00am. They called me back to prep around 6:15 and then allowed Joe to join me. The sweet nurse was great at IV sticks..I didn't feel a thing. Of course you would think it had killed me by the bruise it left! I asked the nurse that would accompany the Dr. during surgery if I would have stitches or tape and she said that dreaded word. STAPLES. Hello?! Staples do NOT belong in my stomach. So I turned red as a fire engine and about started to cry. All while whining saying "NO". Then it was time to go and they wheeled me to the OR. It was a very cramped room. I remember thinking it looked like a storage room with a huge light. LOL I guess they have every available piece of equipment and med in case things go wrong in the sterile environment. The surgeon arrived in the OR and said hello. This is the point where I proceeded to beg for stitches. He said he could do stitches and I relaxed after that. They laid both of my arms out beside me (like during my c-section) and that's all I remember. I was out after that.

When I woke up it was around 9:15 and I woke up cranky! I was in a lot of pain. The nurse told me to relax so the meds would work better so I tried my best. They finally let Joe come back. I made sure he'd called everyone to let them know I was okay and he had. He said the surgeon had finished at 8:00am and came out to talk with him. So I had slept another hour before waking up. I was in recovery for about an hour and then decided to try and get dressed. I felt like a princess as my sweet hubby gowned me. Ok..he just put my undies and pants on because I couldn't get them, but it was still sweet. I managed to get out of bed and into the wheelchair to go home. We stopped at Kmart to pick up my pain Rx and it ended up taking 30 minutes. I stayed in the car though and went back to sleep while Joe got the meds.

I'm recovering as well as to be expected. I'm having a lot of pain in my right side. It feels like it would if I'd run and my side started aching. The nurse at the hospital said it's a combination of gas pains and the manipulation of my stomach insides during surgery. The incisions are tender to the touch, but no constant pain coming from them.

I'm off to try to finish up some christmas gifts.

No comments: